Reflecting on a Week of Leadership Insights at the University of Otago

Last week, I was fortunate to participate in the Enhancing Leadership Course at the University of Otago in Dunedin. With guidance from Dr. Sylvia Robertson and Dr. Kris Cooper, my colleagues from STLP and I embarked on a meaningful journey to explore leadership and its impact on education.

Diving into the Leadership Journey

Our session kicked off with a deep exploration of leadership's nature and how it functions within organisations. We discussed various frameworks to gain a comprehensive understanding of leadership and to help us determine the kind of leaders we strive to become. The Kouzes and Posner model of leadership, which laid the foundation for our program, lead us through effective leadership practices such as Model the Way, Inspire a Shared Vision, Challenge the Process, Enable Others to Act and Encourage the Heart.

Enhancing Knowledge through Reflection

A transformative aspect of our experience was examining our own leadership feedback using 360 degree feedback and exploring the values that underpin our leadership actions. The sessions that involved using Kouzes and Posner's concepts along with the Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) played a significant role in enhancing my self awareness and comprehension of interpersonal interactions. Exploring my personality type as ISTJ provided valuable insights into how I lead and approach situations.

Empowering Others

I particularly found the session discussion on "Empowering Others and Inspiring Encouragement" emphasis on teamwork, empowerment and the foundational aspects of culture and trust illustrated the path to effective leadership.

Moving Forward with a Strategy

The week concluded with us sharing our Leadership Development Plans, tailored specifically for implementing science education projects at Otakiri School. This exercise not only reinforced my learnings but also equipped me with a clear plan.

Reflecting on the time spent in Dunedin, it was both challenging and incredibly fulfilling. Leaving the University of Otago, I gained a deeper understanding of my unique leadership style, renewed clarity about my core values and a detailed roadmap for the future.

Comments

Popular Posts